disabling the LTO without command-line flags?

So, I need to disable the link-time optimizer in LD (and ideally disable
it in GCC too, to avoid unusable bloat in the generated object files).

I also need to do this without use of any command-line flags anywhere.

Is there by any chance any way to do this without re-configuring the GCC
and binutils build?  (I.e. without re-running ./configure and fitting
the results into the tree again myself -- or is there a handy script
that will do this reliably?)

I suppose I could hack the command-line processing code to change the
defaults (as if the options were given on the command-line), but is
there any other way?

FYI, I need to do this for several reasons, the most pressing of which
is libtool being stupid (or just being).  The next reason is so that I
can try building the whole toolchain into a crunchgen binary.

(BTW, while I really like the idea of LTO, I truly detest the idea of
using a plugin in the linker.  What a horrid hack.)

Also, BTW, the "-fno-lto" option to GCC causes it to create a bogus
command-line for 'ld'.  For now I get by with '-fno-use-linker-plugin'
set in LDFLAGS, but as I say I need to do this without command-line
flags.

13:16 [221] $ make thello
gcc -fno-lto -fno-use-linker-plugin -fno-strict-aliasing  -pipe -fstack-protector -Wstack-protector   --param ssp-buffer-size=1  -g   -std=gnu99     -Wall -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wswitch -Wcomment -Wcast-qual -Wpointer-arith -Wshadow -Wstrict-prototypes -Wextra -Wcast-align -Wchar-subscripts -Wconversion -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-prototypes -Wno-long-long -Wformat-extra-args -Wundef -Wbad-function-cast -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wformat=2 -Wno-format-y2k -Wtraditional-conversion -Wunreachable-code -Wstrict-overflow=5   -fstack-protector-all   -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -static -fno-use-linker-plugin   -Wl,--warn-shared-textrel -o thello thello.c
ld: -f may not be used without -shared
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /home/more/woods/src

With 'gcc -v' you can see the 'ld' command line as:

 ld -fno-lto -dc -dp -e _start -static -o thello /usr/lib/crt0.o /usr/lib/crti.o /usr/lib/crtbeginT.o --warn-shared-textrel /var/tmp//ccCEQcxS.o -lgcc -lgcc_eh -lc -lgcc -lgcc_eh /usr/lib/crtend.o /usr/lib/crtn.o

As far as I understand the '-fno-lto' should simply not be there.

--
						Greg A. Woods
						Planix, Inc.

<woods%planix.com@localhost>       +1 250 762-7675        http://www.planix.com/