Re: make -V default behavior change

On Jun 19,  7:50pm, joerg%bec.de@localhost (Joerg Sonnenberger) wrote:
-- Subject: Re: make -V default behavior change

| Again, you still don't get deterministic behavior of expanded variables.

Why? '-V' expands. '-dV -V' does not. And it really does not matter
since the unexpanded -V output is only for human consumption (debugging).

| Franky, this whole thing is a completely mess. So to go forward:
| (1) Drop -dV. Useless.

I did not write it.

| (2) Introduce -v VARIABLE: print the full expansion of ${VARIABLE}.
| Ignore .MAKE.EXPAND_VARIABLES, do not expand ${} etc., just plain
| variable expansion.

I could do that, but then more complexity. N different ways to do the
same thing.

| (3) Revert -V behavior.

It does not matter. If I change in my Makefile:

FOO=${BAR}
to:
FOO:=${BAR}

Should the -V output change? What does an external program expect to
do with ${BAR}?

And if I add -v to the mix, should I go and remove -dV? How about
.MAKE.EXPAND_VARIABLES?

christos