Re: ELF sections vs. segments

On 19 January 2017 at 21:30, Valery Ushakov <uwe%stderr.spb.ru@localhost> wrote:
> Elf spec says:
>
> | The note information in sections and program header elements holds
> | any number of entries,
>
> Which seems to imply that note sections also can contain multiple
> notes.

Yes.  The note header includes the notes size so, even when
unrecognised, it can still be skipped.
Personally, I'd treat any loader code looking in the section table
with suspicion.

Andrew

(For anyone unfamiliar with ELF, the segment (program) headers are at
the front of the image - immediately after the ELF header - while the
section headers are at the back end where, hopefully, they are never
read)