Re: .debug_info relocation

On Sun, Mar 06, 2016 at 04:31:57PM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
 > > It looks like amd64 uses SHT_RELA for section .debug_info while i386 uses
 > > SHT_REL.
 > >
 > > Which archs use SHT_RELA and which use SHT_REL?
 > >
 > > Is there a config file anywhere?
 >
 > Not sure what you'd want to configure here.
 >
 > IIRC the binutils backend for i386 only ever uses SHT_REL sections (it
 > defines USE_REL to 1). On all other architectures the backend could
 > create both types of relocs - not sure which ones actually do what.
 >
 > Any tool dealing with it has to support both.

i386 is required for some kind of insane ELF compliance reason to use
only SHT_REL, or at least this is what I've been told.

Beats me why (or why it matters) -- sanity as well as the ability to
do ELF "quickstart" would seem to suggest using only ever SHT_RELA.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost