Re: is this a make bug?

On Sun, 14 Sep 2014, David Holland wrote:
that is, the ::= modifier consumes the entire rest of the modifier string and doesn't stop on colons or treat those as further modifiers.

I think it's intentional. The :old_string=new_string modifier is documented as "It must be the last modifier specified", and it dates from a time when it was the only modifier. POSIX make still has :old_string=new_string as the only modifier, and I think we should continue to process it in a POSIX-compatible way. Users who want different behaviour can use :C/// and :S///.

--apb (Alan Barrett)