Re: make: avoid breaking backwards compatability

In article <20140901204614.GC17544%britannica.bec.de@localhost>,
Joerg Sonnenberger  <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> wrote:

>I disagree on this. I have seen the "fix" in bin/sh committed by xtos,
>but I don't agree with the behavior change. The cases I know of did not
>involve variable expansion, just plain backslash at the end of the
>commands. Semantically there *is* a newline here, so breaking it is
>wrong.

The trailing newline is the least of your problems (none of the Makefiles
in the tree had it and only a couple of programs in pkgsrc were affected).
The biggest difference is the whitespace treatment around the newline.

christos