Re: [Greg Troxel] CVS commit: src/external/gpl3/gdb/lib/libsim

On Tue, Nov 05, 2013 at 08:35:26AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
 > BUILDSYMLINKS looks like the right approach, and it does:
 >      rm -f ${.TARGET}
 >      ln -s ${.ALLSRC} ${.TARGET}
 > which is robust against these permission issues.

I would not use symlinks for build products (or at least build
products where the build cares about the timestamping) because the
behavior in make isn't clearly defined.

 > So all in all I lean towards saying "use of cp to put things in objdir
 > is a bug, and should be BUILDSYMLINKS, unless that won't work, in which
 > case we need BUILDCOPIES".

BUILDCOPIES seems like a fine idea.

 > Do we have a build style guide?  This seems not to belong in
 > /usr/share/misc/style.

Not that I know of; maybe we should start one.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost