Re: debugging early failure of build.sh (in rebuilding nbmake)

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013, Alan Barrett wrote:
        ===> Bootstrapping nbmake
        checking for sh... /bin/sh
        checking for gcc... cc
checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
        ERROR: Configure of nbmake failed
        *** BUILD ABORTED ***

config.log can be pretty large, and the useful parts are usually at around the 60% mark of the file. dumping the whole thing the users terminal seems overly excessive to me, but perhaps printing the path to the file with a suggestion on what to look for would be good enough.

Yes, dumping the whole thing to stdout or stderr seems excessive. However, the work is done in a temporary directory, which is removed on exit, so just printing the path to the file probably won't work; we'd also have to copy the log file somewhere more permanent, or somehow disable the removal of ${tmpdir} in this case.

We usually keep compile-time-generated stuff in obj dirs.
This was not done for (re)build of nbmake. I assume for a good reason,
alas unknown to me.

Hence the idea to not break the existing scheme, and not clutter random tmp dirs with it either.

So... how to improve debugging without breaking whatever is there?

 - Hubert