Re: make: who included me?

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 08:42:19PM -0800, Simon Gerraty wrote:
 > The patch below (shocking name for the variable - suggestions welcome)
 > was very useful in tracking down the cause of an odd situation.
 > For a makefile like dirdeps.mk which gets included 1000's of times,
 > during a build, it can be very handy to be able to report the makefile
 > that included it.

In general I'm not entirely convinced it's a good idea to allow
makefile fragments to become context-dependent.

Wouldn't it be better to just issue "in file included from..."
messages for .error and .warning, and use those directives where
appropriate?

(also, shouldn't it be called just .INCLUDEDFROM?)

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost