Re: dependall ordering

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011, Greg Troxel wrote:

>   -dependall: .NOTMAIN realdepend .MAKE
>   -   @cd "${.CURDIR}"; ${MAKE} realall
>   +dependall: .NOTMAIN realdepend .WAIT realall .MAKE
>
> I don't see why depend in one subdir can't be in parallel with make in
> another.  Why is the .WAIT necessary?

the .WAIT is to separate the "depend" from the "all".. since each of them
is recursive in themselves, it should expand to

        depend(.)
        depend(subdir)
        .WAIT
        all(.)
        all(subdir)

but I could be wrong - I don't know if the .WAIT is strictly needed

> It seems odd for the order to be different.
>
> I would think anything that depends on ordering should have code to
> express this, but I have not yet taken the time to really understand.

well indeed, and mrg did suggest that the xorg-server code could or should
be moved around so that "compile" and "subdir" don't happen in the same
directory but perhaps its not the only instance of this

iain