5.0.2: pb with nbgenassym and ar

[Please CC me on reply, since I'm not subscribed to this one.]

Hello,

This may or may not be considered a bug; but at least a note should make
the things clear if it is considered a feature.

Since I have recurrent problem now with NetBSD-3.1.1 and X, I have
decided to upgrade to NetBSD-5.0.2.

Previously, you could (I made this) build the toolchain somewhere and
move it elsewhere as long as you were setting the correct path with
'-T' to build.sh.

This is not the case now for nbgenassym, because the value of AWK is set
via the Makefile with a default depending on the value of TOOLDIR
when generating the toolchain. (and AWK is not set by the make wrapper.)

I suggest to simply let the variable TOOLDIR be evaluated at running
time, and not be replaced by its value at build time.

Another failure, when building the kernel, is with the generation of
the routines gathered in libkern.a and libcompat.a.

For a reason I have not tracked down, the ar archives are empty (except
for a leading line containing arch/). I have fixed this by simple
running an ar(1) by hand to build the libraries. The ar(1) instances in
the toolchain seem correct. Perhaps a path there too depending on the
directory of the tools at build time?

Cheers,
                      http://www.kergis.com/