re: travails of the pixman upgrade [Was: Is pango still broken? (vim-gtk2 won't build)]

>   | What mechanism is supposed to select the latter over the former?
> [That referred to the .buildlink/lib/*.so over X11R7/lib/*.so.]
>
> Good question.   Maybe someone who understands the toolchain can explain
> how a library gets selected when given to a cc (gcc) command line as -lfoo
> and libfoo-*.so exists in two different directories, both of which are
> specified in -L args (and -Wl,R args of course.) ??
>
> (That question is why I have added tech-toolchain to this message,
> anyone on the toolchain list who doesn't see pkgsrc-users will find
> the rest of this thread there.)

-R or -Wl,-R won't change any link-time thing.  those paths are placed
into the RPATH embedded into the binary.  sunos4 ld -R also put the
path into the library search path, but this was changed in sunos5 and
in the binutils ELF.

only -L changes the link-time search path (sans some other exotic
options that are more about using a cross compiler.)

i'm not sure exactly understand the question though.  are there two
shlibs being linked?  or just two with the same name in different
subdirs of the link path?

.mrg.