Re: libelf status? status of other binutils alternatives?

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 08:55:23AM -0500, der Mouse wrote:
 > > The linker is about 80% of the work and complexity of a new
 > > toolchain; the assembler, which they also don't seem to have started,
 > > makes up the other 20% and the rest is absolutely trivial.
 >
 > Unless you're trying for deadpan humour (which doesn't seem to fit with
 > the rest of that email), I think you've forgotten about the compiler.

We were talking specifically about binutils. Plus, isn't the normal
usage "compiler and toolchain"? :-)

 > I've written several assemblers.  I wouldn't hesitate to try a linker.
 > I would be somewhat daunted by the prospect of trying a compiler.

Compilers are somewhat different from other things but one gets the
hang of it fairly quickly...

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost