Re: config(5) break down

On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 03:26:20AM +0900, Masao Uebayashi wrote:
 > I want to slowly start breaking down config(5) files
 > (sys/conf/files, sys/**/files.*) into small pieces.  The goal is to
 > clarify ownership of files; lines like "file aaa.c bbb | ccc" are
 > to be changed into "file aaa.c" (ownership) and "ccc: bbb"
 > (dependency).

I'm not entirely convinced that makes sense in all cases, but I
suppose it probably does in most.

 > Because in the modular world one file belongs to one module.

Perhaps a first step would be using config(1) and files.* to generate
the module makefiles instead of maintaining them by hand...

 > Broken config(5) files will be named like "<module>.conf", because files.*
 > namespace is insufficient.  For example pci.kmod can't use files.pci.

Huh? I don't understand.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost