Re: Sets, subsets, syspkgs, and MK*

Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi%tombi.co.jp@localhost> writes:

> NetBSD provides MK* variables to enable / disable features.  Its definition
> is unclear.  How is it different from USE_* or HAVE_*?

I am not 100% clear on this, but I've always thought that

  MK*: controls building/installing some group of programs/files

  USE*: controls whether other programs will try to use a feature

There are both USE_KERBEROS and MKKERBEROS.  MKKERBEROS removes libkrb,
kinit, etc.  And USE_KERBEROS removes kerberos support from login etc -
but those programs are still built.  MKKERBEROS==no forces USE_KERBEROS
no, since linking against libraries that aren't built with headers that
aren't installed of course doesn't work.

I think your notion of subsets matching MK* is very sensible.  There
will be things that really can't be omitted in a build, but that doesn't
mean it's totally silly to have a MK* to go along with them.