Re: Making syspkgs and makefs play nice together

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 10:39:01AM +1200, Lloyd Parkes wrote:
> I want to add an unprivileged mode to pkg_add that will probably be
> enabled automatically if you aren't running it as root. In this mode it
> will not try and set any file permissions.

As long as there are no explicit @owner/@group entries, this should work
out of the box. Please be more specific if you hit issues.

This does not cover specific permissions (setuid/setgid), I think.

> I also want to eliminate all @exec PLIST commands from syspkgs. syspkgs
> only uses them for creating file system objects that the PLIST can't
> otherwise describe (probably). This really isn't the right way to do it,
> and in general it won't work for me. I think I can eliminate them all by
> back-porting/pulling-up the implementation of the @pkgdir PLIST command.

@pkgdir is in -current and will be pulled up to netbsd-5 soon. @exec
should otherwise be replaced by explicit scripts. If there are any
non-directory/non-file entries, please report this as well, I might be
inclined to add support for them at some point as well.

Joerg