Re: default TOOLDIR

apb%cequrux.com@localhost wrote:

> I thought about adding a top-obj target to src/Makefile, but I couldn't
> see a use for it.

To prepare proper default TOOLDIR, DESTDIR, and RELEASEDIR?
The top obj dir contains only these three directories.

> Supposing we did have such a target, and changed the
> top level make build to do
>
>       make cleandir
>       make top-obj
>       make tools-obj
>       make tools # build and install
>       make obj
>       make everything else
>
> how do you see the extra "make top-obj" step as actually helping?

I guess it should be:

- check existing bmake in try_set_TOOLDIR() or build bootstrap bmake
- make top-obj with the bootstrap bmake
- set TOOLDIR, DESTDIR, and RELEASEDIR via getmakevar() with the same bmake
- then make clenadir, tools-obj, tools, ...

---
Izumi Tsutsui