I'm cross building with alot and using environment variables and wrapper scripts [1]. I like it when I can just try
'MKSHARE=no MKBFD=no CPUFLAGS=-mthumb-interwork' ./ ...' quickly
without changing any config files in the build environment, though I'm open
to suggestions if anyone has better ways of cross building with strange
environment variables. For the moment I also consider it a bug when clears MAKEFLAGS [2].

[1] wrapper targetting thumb mode on ARM

[2] don't clear MAKEFLAGS in patch