Re: Why :O?

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 02:36:25PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> In the 4.0 sys/conf/Makefile.kern.inc, I find
>
> SYSTEM_DEP?=    Makefile ${SYSTEM_OBJ:O} .gdbinit
>
> Why is the :O there?  It causes .o files to be built in alphabetical
> order, leading to hopping all over the directory tree relatively
> randomly instead of tending to stick with, say, dev/pci/, until
> everything (or almost) from there has been built.  This seems like a
> lose to me, but presumably someone put it there for a reason.  So, my
> question is, what is that reason?
>
> This also makes it impossible to tell how far through a build is by
> simply looking up the current file to the list of .o files in OBJS=,
> which is how I happened to notice it, but that's a comparatively minor
> issue; it's not exactly difficult to sort that list.

That's odd.  I was about to argue it was a good way to have an idea how
far you are through the build:  "pff, it's still at if_something", or
"great, it's reached usb stuff".

I guess the mileage through the build may vary, but I certainly disagree
with the word "impossible" in your sentence.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost