Re: cross compiling and crtbeginS.o

On 26/02/2008, at 9:21 PM, matthew green wrote:

MKGCC=no has issues in general.  i haven't heard of anyone
using an external compiler lately but maybe those who do
could speak up, if they use it.

I just found PR/37072.

So I guess, this can be summarised as MKGCC=no requires a full toolchain, and since the tools infrastructure doesn't supply one, EXTERNAL_TOOLCHAIN must be set.

So, we need to either change the tools infrastructure to supply a full toolchain, or put a check in the makefiles to ensure that the user specifies EXTERNAL_TOOLCHAIN whenever they specify MKGCC=no.

if you don't want certain parts build for your embedded
platform, i would hack the makefiles to not build the
gcc dirs in gnu/usr.bin and gnu/lib that you don't want.

Been there, done that. I was looking to steal other people's work and reduce the number of changes I was making to the source tree.

Cheers,
Lloyd