Re: Per-shell override of path names in make(1)

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 09:31:58PM +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 08:06:00PM +0000, David Laight wrote:
> > The SHELL make/env variable lets you set the shell make should use for
> > all its commands.  This can to be a full path.
>
> How do you deal with random names in SHELL? Consider at least bash, rc,
> zsh. They do make differences in a number of cases. make currently
> doesn't honour it and I think that is a good thing. Madness for csh
> users otherwise.

Looking at the existing tables (but not where the data is actually used)
I'd consider ripping out the hasEchoCtl, echoOff, echoOn and noPrint
options and then defaulting to the 'sh' variant.
Possibly with both the 'echo' and 'exit' options also empty.
(Which kills the ksh variant.)

I can't see why this wouldn't work for bash (and anything else
that supports the posix syntax).

I've not looked at the relatiship between .SHELL and $SHELL and these
tables, but it might be plausible to allow a table entry to be selected
without changing the pathname used for the shell itself?

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost