Subject: Re: lint doesn't define __STDC__?
To: None <tech-toolchain@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/07/2007 19:46:54
> I have for a long time had a confusion about lint, and this might be
> a good occation (although it is off-topic) to ask: should not lint be
> an obsolete tool?  A C compiler should have more information
> available, so it should be able to do all the checks lint does and
> more?  In an ideal world, at least.

Yes, in an ideal world, it would.

In practice, separate compilation makes it difficult for the compiler
to be able to perform many of the inter-module checks lint makes.
(With proper programmer discipline, most of them are more or less
equivalent to checks the compiler *can* make; this is why I use, for
example, -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes with gcc.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign