Subject: Re: Request for comments: let config(1) generate LKMs
To: Hiroyuki Bessho <bsh@grotto.jp>
From: Bill Stouder-Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 09/28/2007 09:59:12
--dpynvXbW/eW9Tpc3

On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 04:42:55PM +0900, Hiroyuki Bessho wrote:
> Bill Stouder-Studenmund wrote:
> >I also see a strong advantage of modules for our release process. Right=
=20
> >now we build a number of kernels as part of building a release. With all=
=20
> >the drivers in modules, a number of the differences between kernels redu=
ce=20
> >to a different set of drivers. So we can build the modules once and reus=
e=20
> >them. Or build only a few key sets of modules and reuse them as much as =
we=20
> >can. :-)
> >
> >Take care,
> >
> >Bill
> > =20
>=20
> BR.
> --
> bsh.

I realized I forgot to say one thing in my last message. I think this work=
=20
is important and I look forward to you completing it. Yes, I have strong=20
opinions on how it should work, but these opinions stem from my desire for=
=20
this feature to be done very well. I think it can, and it sounds like you=
=20
are ready to do it very well.

Take care,

Bill