Subject: Request for comments: let config(1) generate LKMs
To: None <tech-toolchain@NetBSD.org>
From: Hiroyuki Bessho <bsh@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 09/13/2007 18:55:32
Hi,

  I've got an idea to improve our LKM support.  In my plan, turning
existing device drivers into LKMs would be done like following:

  1. modify kernel config file with new syntax:

module com0     at isa? port 0x3f8 irq 4        # Standard PC serial ports
module ne*	at isapnp?

  2. config KERNEL && make depend && make lkms

  3. you've got  compile/KERNEL/lkm/com/com.o and compile/KERNEL/lkm/ne/ne.o

Do you think this idea prospective?  Will it conflict with other works
happening recently in the NetBSD camp?

I'd like some comments before I start further work on this.

TIA.
--
bsh.