Subject: Re: accuracy of "long double"
To: Neil Booth <neil@daikokuya.co.uk>
From: None <10.50@free.fr>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 08/29/2007 17:01:52
Selon Neil Booth <neil@daikokuya.co.uk>:

>> 1. If I understand correctly, <long double> on NetBSD will NOT behave as IEEE
>> 80-bit precision should do. Does it mean that <long double> = <double>, or
just
>> that the rounding prescriptions of <long double> are not honored?
> Yes, no, yes.  :)  Rounding for all FP arithmetic is to double precision
> by default.

That's still (partially) unclear. You mean that, if I add two <long double>s and
put the result in a <long double>, I won't get the extra precision I expect in
the result because it will be truncated to (normal) <double> precision ? If yes,
I don't see the point of keeping <long double> different from <double>…

Thanks for your time and the rest of the answer,
Vincent