Subject: Re: accuracy of "long double"
To: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Krister Walfridsson <cato@df.lth.se>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 08/18/2007 05:27:25
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007, Matthias Drochner wrote:

> Inspired by a selftest failure of sqlite3, I tried to
> understand how "long double" math is supposed to work
> if the FPU is set to 53-bit rounding.
> My findings are posted as PR port-i386/36770 and a reply.
>
> Before I take further steps (like the gcc configuration
> change mentioned there) I'd like to get a second opinion.

I was planning to submit the TARGET_96_ROUND_53_LONG_DOUBLE to gcc-current
some weeks ago, but testing showed that this had some issues (I guess the
support has bit-rotted as it is only FreeBSD that uses it, and nobody
works actively on gcc/FreeBSD).

I plan to investigate the failures soon, but there are several more
serious problems on gcc/NetBSD right now...

    /Krister