Subject: Re: 3.1 cross-build breaks with . in PATH
To: NetBSD Toolchain and Build Technical Discussion List <tech-toolchain@NetBSD.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@planix.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 03/20/2007 19:22:56
--pgp-sign-Multipart_Tue_Mar_20_19:22:53_2007-1

At Tue, 20 Mar 2007 17:48:27 -0400 (EDT),
der Mouse wrote:
>=20
> [quotes reordered for replying convenience]
>=20
> > E.g. NOCLEANDIR is essentially the same as "build.sh -u", no?
>=20
> Close, but nto quite; -u sets MKUPDATE, which does more than just
> NOCLEANDIR.

True.

> > USETOOLS is, it seems to me, mandatory -- as far as I can see you
> > can't override it -- it is always set to "yes" when using build.sh
>=20
> That seems like a bug to me; you should be able to do something like
> "USETOOLS=3Dnever build.sh -D / build" to get more or less the effect of
> a pre-build.sh "make build".

You probably still can -- just get rid of the "build.sh" part and use
"make" directly (with the desired targets, of course).

I'm pretty sold on the idea of always using the tools though.  I only
patch my build systems themselves with DESTDIR=/ occasionally when I
make goofs because I usually also use them as the test systems, at least
for the case where the buildhost platform is the same as the target's.

> problem with build.sh: it presents a form of feature overload, enough
> that I missed two important things during multiple read-throughs of
> BUILDING.

I haven't really read the documentation -- just the script itself and of
course it's help output.  :-)

It is indeed rather overloaded with features.  They're all really just
extensions of the features already inherent in the share/mk/* and
Makefile infrastructure though.

--=20
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098 W:+1 416 489-5852 x122 VE3TCP RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>