Subject: disabling -fstrict-aliasing @ -O2 by default
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: Blair Sadewitz <blair.sadewitz@gmail.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 03/19/2007 06:17:21
I've been noticing lately that a lot of major software packages
(firefox, gtk2, lots of other GNOME libraries, and a lot more) do
type-punning.
There're probably way more packages that do this that I haven't seen
due to simply not being at the console to see the warnings.

I'm wondering whether or not this one optimization is worth the
headaches it could cause.  I've already removed it from the -O2
options list in my tree and am going to do a bulk build soon; I'm
curious to see if anything is more stable.

At any rate, I think that the 'average user' (assume that this
construct is real for the sake of argument, or that it represents me,
heh) would rather one optimization than gain a myriad of bugs.

Comments?

--Blair

--
Support WFMU-FM: free-form radio for the masses!
<http://www.wfmu.org/>

"The frivolity and boredom which unsettle the established order, the
vague foreboding of something unknown, these are the heralds of
approaching change.  The gradual crumbling that left unaltered the
face of the whole is cut short by a sunburst which, in one flash,
illuminates the features of the new world."  --G.W.F. Hegel,
_Phenomenology of Spirit_ 5:11