Subject: Re: Enabling separate debug symbol support for gdb6
To: SODA Noriyuki <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 07/21/2006 13:02:01
On Jul 17, 2006, at 7:53 PM, SODA Noriyuki wrote:

>>>    Why? It's data that exsits solely in relation to the library;
>
>> lint and debug symbols seem to be similar to me,
>
> Also, the directory will contain non-library stuff.
> e.g. debug symbols of commands in /bin, /usr/bin, /sbin, /usr/sbin,
> and /usr/libexec.

(Catching up -- sorry, it's WWDC time again...)

I think:

- /usr/libdata/debug/... for the libraries, yes.  Shipped as part of
the comp set.

As for debug symbols for /bin, /usr/bin, etc... I'm not sure those
belong in /usr/libdata (but I can't think of a better place at the
moment)... and I certainly don't think they belong in the comp set --
those belong in a separate set (osdebug set?)  Debugging symbols for
system LIBRARIES, on the other hand, are often useful for debugging
user app code.

-- thorpej