Subject: Re: Enabling separate debug symbol support for gdb6
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 07/17/2006 20:00:39
--mrJd9p1Ce66CJMxE

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 02:55:20AM +1000, Luke Mewburn wrote:
> Some questions:
>=20
> * Is this a good idea?

YES!

> * The default globaldebugdir is: /usr/lib/debug
>   I think that this should be:   /usr/libdata/debug

I think that's fine, but folks who have a lot more to say about this stuff=
=20
seem to be hashing it out...

> * Would we ship the debug files as part of the set that they're relevant =
to?
>   Or the comp set?
>   Or separate debug sets?  (eww, more sets to deal with)

I actually think they should go with the set they're relevant to. It=20
doesn't matter as much with the large .tgz files. But as we move to syspkg=
=20
(which will hopefully be soon), it'll be nice to update the debug files=20
when you update a binary-containing syspkg.

> * Is it worth trying to find the time to do this prior to NetBSD 4.0 ?

If it's easy. It'd be really nice.

Take care,

Bill

--mrJd9p1Ce66CJMxE