Subject: building gcc3 with gcc4 (was Re: Heads Up: Migration to gcc4)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org, tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 06/02/2006 17:54:21
--aqWxf8ydqYKP8htK

On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 09:09:22PM -0400, Allen Briggs wrote:
> As you may have noticed, GCC 4.0 is now in the tree and available
> for a couple of architectures.  Sources have been updated to build
> with GCC4.
>=20
> I encourage you, current-users, to give it a workout sooner rather
> than later so we can catch any issues as early as possible.

I have been doing, on x86 and amd64.  Both work fine for me, once
various little code niggles were corrected.

There is one issue that will need to be resolved before the default
switch is thrown, though:

  presently, a host with a gcc4 native compiler cannot build the gcc3
  toolchain: gcc4 barfs warnings on gcc3 sources, in much the same way
  as is did for several things elsewhere in the code.  eg:

/home/NetBSD/HEAD/src/tools/gcc/../../gnu/dist/gcc/gcc/gengtype.c: In funct=
ion 'error_at_line':
/home/NetBSD/HEAD/src/tools/gcc/../../gnu/dist/gcc/gcc/gengtype.c:38: warni=
ng: traditional C rejects ISO C style function definitions

In file included from /home/NetBSD/HEAD/src/tools/gcc/../../gnu/dist/gcc/gc=
c/read-rtl.c:24:
/home/NetBSD/HEAD/src/tools/gcc/../../gnu/dist/gcc/gcc/rtl.h:132: warning: =
type of bit-field 'code' is a GCC extension
/home/NetBSD/HEAD/src/tools/gcc/../../gnu/dist/gcc/gcc/rtl.h:135: warning: =
type of bit-field 'mode' is a GCC extension

(and probably more once you get past those)

Until we fix this, switching the default and upgrading your compile
host to current is going to break crossbuilding NetBSD for
architectures that haven't yet been swtiched to gcc4, and all
(currently maintained) older releases.

With the awareness of that constraint, by all means do still build
gcc4 DESTDIRs and test them!

--
Dan.

--aqWxf8ydqYKP8htK