Subject: GCC4 status
To: None <email@example.com>
From: matthew green <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: 05/13/2006 03:45:03
as many of you are probably aware, most of the GCC4 work is now
done. (i don't expect to be flooding source-changes any more :-)
these are the remains problems that i'm aware of:
- gnu/dist/gcc4/gcc/gcc.c is not merged (this is only
relevant for the install /usr/bin/cc.)
- tools/Makefile.gmakehost and tools/gcc/Makefile need
cleanup. they currently hard code using "/usr/bin/env -i"
to wipe out MAKEFLAGS from the environment (our make
and gmake flags aren't very compatible...) there are
also issues with variables on the command line vs. the
environment vs. gmake -e. (what's there, or will be in
a short while, works but it's ugly.)
- src/lib/csu is broken, at least on i386 and sparc64.
something in init_fallthru() loses but i have not yet
looked closely. when i use old crt0.o/crti.o things
work again on i386 and sparc64.
- powerpc stack execute protection support is merged
badly and doesn't build yet.
- only i386, sparc64 & powerpc mknative files have been
generated so far.
- make sure it is still make -j friendly.
- sets lists
- probably several other things i can't remember but are
in XXX's in the src tree.
i will shortly send out another email with instructions on how
to help test & build mknative files. (there are a couple more
fixes that are necessary yet..)