Subject: Re: make: making .WAIT recursive
To: None <tech-toolchain@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/12/2006 22:45:59
> My preference it to leave .ORDER non-recursive as at present, and to
> make .WAIT recursive.

For what it's worth, I suggest .BARRIER, but of .WAIT and .BARRIER I'm
not sure which I think should be recursive and which nonrecursive - it
looks as though the existing uses of .WAIT argue for it to be the
recursive one.

.ORDER is a magic target, not something you can put in a dependency
list, and it seems to me that there is no reason to enforce ordering
across a given set of targets in all cases when it's needed in only
some.  (There are doubtless cases where you want ordering in all cases;
they're what .ORDER is for.  It'd be nice to be able to express both
recursivity and nonrecursivity in dependency lists.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign