Subject: Re: cross-building on freebsd broken?
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
From: James Chacon <jmc@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 09/28/2005 10:19:24
On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 08:43:13PM -0700, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:

> >Which include though?
>
> Typically config.h as in
>
> #ifdef HAVE_CONFIG_H
> # include <config.h>
> #endif
>
> >We can't depend on the system includes even if native
> >since they're not necessarily in-sync with what's in the build you're
> >attempting to complete.
>
> But then you are cross-building, and autoconf is appropriate.

In reality you're always cross building, if you're actually building the tools
and using them to build anything.

If you're just wanting to test one-off changes to some subsystem there's always

USETOOLS=no make

to get around all of the cross heirarchy. Otherwise you pretty much have
to assume it's a cross build in order to not lose. Compared to the old days
of "read UPDATING, figure out what order to install X Y Z first and then build"
which works a lot simpler.

James