Subject: Re: make(1)'s inbuilt objdir handling
To: None <tech-toolchain@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 06/24/2005 21:22:04
>>> While I realize it may be a bit of a pain, I'd appreciate it if you
>>> can make "obj" and "obj.MACHINE" work again.  I use them in
>>> non-NetBSD programs that still use bsd.*.mk files.
>> Can't you get that effect with something like MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=./ in
>> the environment?  I'd certainly prefer that people who want make to
>> chdir around behind their back have to ask for it explicitly;
> I can try it again, but I tried all sorts of combinations of
> MAKEOBDIR and MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX and none of it worked.

Well, I have nothing against the "old" semantics being available.  I
just think it's broken for them to be the default.

Exactly how to request them is a question I'm mostly agnostic on, since
the only use I have for them is in the NetBSD build process itself.
Envariable, makefile macro, command-line flag, whatever.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign