Subject: Re: make(1)'s inbuilt objdir handling
To: Luke Mewburn <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 06/21/2005 11:16:08
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005, Luke Mewburn wrote:

> 	else if -d "obj.${MACHINE}"				# rule 3
> 		.OBJDIR = obj.${MACHINE}
> 	else if -d "obj"					# rule 4
> 		.OBJDIR = obj
> 	else if -d "/usr/obj/${PWD}"				# rule 5
> 		.OBJDIR = /usr/obj/${PWD}

> I personally believe that rules 3 through 5 should be removed from make.

This is fine with me, but note that this was proposed before with the
suggestion that a command line switch be available to turn the behavior back
on.  This was PR toolchain/3938, which was closed without real resolution.

There was a thread about this, where I was going to fix it, but this got
dropped for various reasons.  The root of the thread is here:

-- Todd Vierling <> <> <>