Subject: Re: usr.bin/make
To: Max Okumoto <okumoto@ucsd.edu>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/02/2005 15:22:47
James Chacon <jmc@NetBSD.org> writes:
> It isn't about "religion" so much as there's specific reasons we still use
> lint in places and code should follow the style guidelines.

I think this misstates it, though I'm sure jmc doesn't mean to
misstate it. It isn't that we "still use lint" as though we were
phasing it out -- we are moving to aggressively lint more and more of
the code in our systems. We even can now lint our kernels (though we
haven't cleaned them up as much as we should.)

lint finds a lot of stuff that gcc simply can't find, especially in
the realm of inter-module type and function signature checking. It has
helped us a lot with problems we wouldn't have seen otherwise.

Perry