Subject: Re: kernels no longer buildable in isolation?
To: None <tech-toolchain@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 01/16/2005 16:42:37
>> #    create  GENERIC/param.c
>> rm -f param.c
>> cp ../../../../conf/param.c .
>> make: don't know how to make ../../../../../contrib/sys/dev/ic/athhal_osdep.c. Stop

>> That looks as though it's trying to reach over from /usr/src/sys
>> into /usr/src/contrib/sys.

>> Is it simply no longer supported by NetBSD to build kernels without
>> the full /usr/src context?  Or is this a bug worth sending-pr?  Or
>> what?

> you just need to add contrib/sys to that if you want ath support.

Sure, that much is obvious.  But that doesn't answer any of the
questions I asked as far as I can see.  It just seems..broken..for
"copy /sys to somewhere private, config GENERIC, try to build" to
break.

That's why I was asking: is this a bug, or is this just another way
NetBSD has deviated from traditional practice (ie, the bug is in my
expectations), or what?

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign