Subject: 2.0/current toolchain bootstrap problem on ppc
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org, tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 01/09/2005 12:37:16
Hello,

While using either the 2.0 or the current source trees to bootstrap the
toolchain on macppc, I'm seeing some problems with powerpc--netbsd-lint.

In summary, when I'm compiling on an older machine (300 MHz G3 with 512k
of L2 cache), I see no problems.

When I compile on a 1.3 GHz 7455 with 256k of CPU speed L2 cache and 2
megs of L3, I occasionally see powerpc--netbsd-lint get a signal 11. If I
try again, it happens in another place.

When I use a 1.4 GHz 7457 with 512k of CPU speed L2 and 2 megs of L3, I
see signal 11s quite often. If I keep restarting (with -u, of course), it
will eventually get the whole way through building the source tree, but it
can take up to a dozen times.

The systems used for testing have been used to serve and compile for many
months, so problems with the CPUs or the systems themselves seems very
unlikely.

So - assuming that powerpc--netbsd-lint has some sort of issue with dirty
cache, what's the best way to debug this?

Thanks,
John Klos
--
If our gods and our loves are nothing but scientific phenomena,
   then it must be said that our love is scientfic as well.