Subject: Re: Inconsistency in build.sh
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 12/19/2004 14:55:00
> It would strange and unfriendly indeed if an "install" following a "build"
> deleted the binaries that were just built.  "install" isn't useful without
> "-u", because if you'd wanted to build and install in one step, you would
> have used "build". That argument doesn't apply to any of the other targets.

Now that I think about it, yes, it makes sense that one would expect
an install target to not nuke things, and yet one very well might do a
release target from scratch.

I guess I was just thinking that "finishing" targets should behave
similarly. Maybe if the help message that comes up when one calls build.sh
without options said (implies -u) for install, it'd be clearer that it's
sepcial.

Thanks,
John