Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/gnu/dist/gcc/gcc/config/i386
To: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 07/19/2004 23:21:31
I'm jumping the gun here a bit, but I think it fits recent issues in the
FreeBSD and DragonFly camp, the latter being my main BSD playground
nowadays.

-On [20040719 22:22], Matthias Drochner (M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de) wrote:
>Just for curiosity - does gdb6 work better, or don't they care
>about stabs either?

I've been hearing a lot of complaints about GDB 6.x by now from various
sources.

>Actually, whenever I tried to debug something in-depth I came
>to a point where gdb was useless. Didn't cope with threads, didn't
>show useful stackframes, couldn't singlestep or whatever. I always
>ended up with printf()s or other code instrumentation...
>(That's not to argue about debug symbol formats, just a side note.
>It might explain however why almost noone cares about debugging
>issues.)

Complains noted.

>As I said in another mail, when I changed gcc-3.3's default in -current,
>I primaliry wanted to establish something which can be pulled up to
>the 2.0 branch or not, depending on further development. At that point
>I was still optimistic that the dwarf2 output got fixed in the gcc-3.3
>branch.

Mmm, something to keep in mind with DragonFly since we're actively pushing
towards GCC 3.4 (and TenDRA, shameless plug).

>Agreed, it should be changed back. This is where gcc develops,
>stabs is more or less historical.

For what it is worth, in between moving house and changing jobs, I am
actively working on a BSDL'd debugger as part of the TenDRA project.
It is actively asked for within the DragonFly team of me to work on this,
aside from my regular TenDRA stuff.
I'll make sure to keep the toolchain list informed once something usable
emerges.

Free Tibet! http://www.savetibet.org/ | http://www.tibet.nu/
http://www.tendra.org/   | http://diary.in-nomine.org/
To love someone deeply gives you strength. Being loved by someone deeply
gives you courage...