Subject: Re: Using xargs in kernel depend
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 05/14/2004 21:57:45
>There are various places in the NetBSD build system where very long
>command lines are used. So you would have to use xargs(1) on all this
>places. I came acros this when I build on IRIX. Solution was to increase
>the max. command line length with systune(1M). FreeBSD has a sysctl(8)
>or kernel option for this.

You can't simply increase command line length indevinitely,
eventually you need to face the fact that the design needs to change.
Autogenerated dependencies is a very neat solution to this particular
issue - but the fact remains that long command lines are eventually
going to exceed available resources, and avoiding that as a design
issue is a good idea.

--sjg