Subject: Re: MAKEFLAGS/MFLAGS
To: Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai@tendra.org>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 03/17/2004 10:01:01
>http://www.tendra.org/ ;)
>My personal project.  It's essentially OpenBSD's make, taken from Open
>Packages, so a large part still comes from NetBSD and Adam's work.

Ok, the OpenBSD make is very different to NetBSD's now.
There are lots of features in NetBSD's and likely OpenBSD's that
are not present in the other.  This is at least partly my fault,
a few years ago when I added the ODE modifiers to NetBSD I didn't
note that OpenBSD was using some of the same modifier names for
different purposes.

I'm told that OpenBSD's make performs well, but other than that,
cannot tell you which is more suitable for your project.
I can tell you though that most of the cool magic in the NetBSD
makefiles probably won't work.  So read your make(1) carefully.

Also, please don't call the thing "bmake" - I've been using that name
for at least 10 years for the portable make derrived from NetBSD's.
For the last few years bmake has tracked NetBSD make very closely
since where possible/sensible I make changes to NetBSD make and
re-sync bmake rather than allowing bmake to diverge.

Thanks
--sjg