Subject: Re: patches to fix make -j
To: James Chacon <jmc@netbsd.org>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 12/18/2003 01:21:41
>The main reason for new fields and doing it this way was to avoid gutting
>the code entirely as far as spec'ing a shell and instead hard coding /bin/sh.

Keeping the ability to spec a shell is good - Solaris loses unless you
use ksh for example.

>The main changes have to deal with printing out the command being run vs the
>actual command (i.e. so the user doesn't have to see the {} || exit stuff).
>At this point '|| exit $?' vs '&&' comes out the same except that the exit's
>are easier to follow in most cases when debugging the shell input script.

Does -dx show the actual commands executed?

>Concerns/comments welcome. Otherwise I'll probably commit these in the next
>few days barring objections.

Since we've established that -e just doesn't work (for what make
wants) - why not remove it all together?  Also why leave the -e's in
the ksh spec?

While you are there - would anyone ever pick csh as the shell to use? ;-)

Thanks
--sjg