Subject: Crossbuilding on Solaris
To: None <tech-toolchain@NetBSD.org>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 12/14/2003 08:41:51
Over the past several weeks, I've been committing changes so that
NetBSD (specifically macppc) can be cross-built on Solaris.  I was
finally successful on Thursday.

To build, you must use the /usr/xpg4/bin versions of sh and ln.  To
build on Solaris, I needed the following in the environment before
invoking build.sh:

         PATH=/usr/xpg4/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
                                                   export PATH
         LD_LIBRARY_PATH=:/usr/local/lib         ; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
         BSHELL=/usr/xpg4/bin/sh                 ; export BSHELL
         HOST_LN=/usr/xpg4/bin/ln                ; export HOST_LN
         HOST_SH=$BSHELL                         ; export HOST_SH
         CONFIG_SHELL=$BSHELL                    ; export CONFIG_SHELL
         HOST_CC="gcc3 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64"   ; export HOST_CC
         AWK=gawk                                ; export AWK

Note that /usr/local/lib is only required for libz.  Use of libz by the
host tools should be cleaned up.  Having it exist as a host requirement
is just asking for trouble.

The use of gsub() in several awk scripts forces the dependency on gawk.

--
Matt Thomas                     email: matt@3am-software.com
3am Software Foundry              www: http://3am-software.com/bio/matt/