Subject: Re: softfloat fixuns woes
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/11/2003 09:23:23

> On Nov 10, 2003, at 7:52 AM, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
>
> > Then functions should be allocated as follows:
> >
> > pure standard functions should be built into libc{.so,.a,_p.a} etc.
> > functions sharing static data should be in libgcc.so (this will
> > probably
> > only be needed for c++).
> > The rest should be .hidden and built into libgcc.a, which should be
> > linked
> > into every application and every shared library (libgcc_pic.a).
>
> I am really really really uncomfortable with putting an libgcc objects
> directly into libc.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that we copy the source or even objects
compiled from the source (though that wouldn't necessarily violate the
license on those files, since they have a special exception if the library
is compiled with gcc -- and that certainly applies to objects linked from
a libgcc_pic) but rather that we should implement the functionality in
libc.  We've done most of them already, and the few softfloat functions
that are missing are relatively trivial to add to softfloat.c.

R.