Subject: Re: "virtual memory exausted" building netbsd-1-6 for sparc on alpha
To: NetBSD/alpha Discussion List <port-alpha@NetBSD.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/08/2003 10:01:34
On 2003.11.07 23:22 Greg A. Woods wrote:

> I'm trying a cross-build of netbsd-1-6 for sparc on my alpha. It gets
> this far:
[...]
> /proven/work/woods/m-NetBSD-1.6/lib/libc/hash/sha1.c:206: virtual
> memory exhausted
[...]
> Using "COPTS=-O0" worked.
I know this quite well. I had the same on an Alpha building for sparc
and on a UltraSPARC building for sparc.

> Is cross-building for sparc on alpha maybe not a good idea for
> netbsd-1-6?
Out of my experience it is allways a bad idea building across the LP32 -
LP64 boundary. This triggers all sorts of funky compiler bugs in GCC.
GCC 2.95 and GCC 3.3. Building on LP64 for a LP32 target is more bug
prone then the other way. You know, all the world is a Linux/i386 (i.e.
LP32 litle endian) machine... So LP32-LE is the most tested host
platform.

I did some X-build tests in the GCC 2.95 days. I build on Aphla and
sparc64 for various targets and to my surprise the combination Alpha =>
VAX worked. Every other combination faild in some way. Meanwhile we have
GCC 3.3.2. I tried to X-build from sparc64 to hppa some weeks ago and it
faild.
--

tschüß,
       Jochen