Subject: re: Fw: Re: problems crossbuilding from solaris
To: NetBSD Toolchain Technical Discussion List <tech-toolchain@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/22/2003 14:43:08
[ On Thursday, October 23, 2003 at 00:36:22 (+1000), matthew green wrote: ]
> Subject: re: Fw: Re: problems crossbuilding from solaris
>
> not that this has _anything_ to do with the host compiler.  we
> should support non-gcc host compilers.  anything capable of
> building the real compiler itself...

Actually it would be really nice if any ANSI compiler could be used for
building NetBSD, and also in the base-OS for self-hosted builds too.

I really hate having so much compiler-specific code in what is otherwise
a very portable system.

Yes, I do know how much GCC-specific guck is in the sources, even just
in user-land, so I won't be holding my breath in anticipation!  (I once
experimented with trying to compile a little example stdio-using program
with pkgsrc/lang/lcc and once I got that to work I then tried a
sockets-using program and quickly gave up....  :-)

--
						Greg A. Woods