Subject: Re: Making the (asm) world safe for modern cpp
To: None <>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 09/19/2003 14:37:28
On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 00:06:41 -0400, M L Riechers wrote:

> On the other hand, is it any great sin against nature and nature's
> god to simply use the commonly accepted default machine comment
> delimiter convention?

One of the reasons is that .S files do go through the preprocessor and
assembler comments are not preprocessor comments.  Consider, e.g.

        mov	0, r0	! it's bogus

That, without -traditional-cpp, will produce:

    <stdin>:1:29: missing terminating ' character

Though, since we are not dropping -traditional-cpp from .S files
processing this particular example is not that serious.

But I have to confess I use ! for sparc assembler comments all the

SY, Uwe
--                         |       Zu Grunde kommen            |       Ist zu Grunde gehen