Subject: Re: Making the (asm) world safe for modern cpp
To: Valeriy E. Ushakov <>
From: Jim Wise <>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 09/17/2003 21:36:58

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:

>Jim Wise <> wrote:
>> One of the main reasons for this behavior is that many of our assembly
>> source files use a mix of `/**/'-style and `#'-style comments.  Where
>> `#'-style comments appear on a line by themselves, modern cpp is
>> confused, while `-traditional-cpp' is not as long as the `#' does not
>> appear in the first character position on the line.
>> I therefore propose the following sequence of events to eliminate use of
>> `-traditional-cpp' in our source tree:
>Just a comment: assemblers that use `#' as part of the syntax (not as
>a comment starter), e.g. SuperH, will have a problem with dropping
> [example snipped]

Hmm.  Does this not cause problems when used with inline assembly in
gcc?  Obviously, correctly used, this won't result in a # at the
beginning of the line (since __asm__ takes arguments as strings, and
strings can't span multiple lines, even though this used to be common),
but don't the same sort of macro parameter errors occur?

- --
				Jim Wise
Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (NetBSD)